There are several things citizens can do to thwart an act of terrorism. These include:
- remaining constantly vigilant;
- alerting the authorities of any suspicious, unusual, inappropriate or out of the ordinary activities, acts or behaviours;
- alerting the authorities when discovering an unusual or abandoned suspicious object of unknown origin;
- following all instructions, in particular in public places and buildings (stations, airports, agencies, museums, restaurants, cafés, shops, etc.);
- helping to facilitate the authorities' actions such as searches and parcel and baggage inspections.
This conduct also applies for those responsible for public or private places or buildings (administrations or businesses respectively) who are required to implement specific protective measures on the basis of the alert level in place.