What to do following a power cut:
- to avoid a power surge, give the electricity system time to stabilise:
- first turn on the main switch;
- increase the thermostat(s) for the heating system;
- do not turn on all your electronic appliances at the same time;
- start with the ones you most need such as fridges and freezers;
- and wait 10 to 15 minutes before plugging in other devices;
- before restoring power, ensure the water heater is full;
- turn on the water supply and the taps to allow air to escape:
- turn off taps on the ground floor of your home to enable air to escape from the upper taps;
- do not turn the gas on yourself, and if you are in doubt, call a specialist.
- Check the state of food in refrigerators and freezers. If the freezer door has remained closed, food can remain frozen for 24 or even 36 hours, depending on the temperature. If in doubt, throw food away.
- Keep in touch with your friends, family and vulnerable neighbours.
- Restock your emergency kit.
In the event of danger or an emergency, call 112.